Science & Technology Australia President Professor Mark Hutchinson has been appointed to the expanded Australian Research Council Advisory Committee.
The Committee was appointed by Acting Education Minister Stuart Robert MP.
Its role will be to provide insight and advice to the ARC’s Acting CEO Judi Zielke on the organisation’s strategic agenda and functions.
Professor Hutchinson is one of Australia’s leading researchers, research commercialisation experts and a pioneer of bench-to-boardroom science.
In addition to being STA President, he is Director of the ARC Centre of Excellence for Nanoscale BioPhotonics, and an ARC Future Fellow at the University of Adelaide.
The committee includes senior research and industry leaders.
Its members are:
- Professor Chris Moran FTSE, Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Research, Curtin University (Chair)
- Dr Mirjana Prica, Managing Director of Food Innovation Australia Limited
- Professor Michelle Simmons AO, Director, ARC Centre of Excellence for Quantum Computation and Communication Technology, The University of New South Wales
- Professor Mark Hutchinson, President, Science & Technology Australia and Director, ARC Centre of Excellence for Nanoscale BioPhotonics, University of Adelaide
- Professor Calum Drummond AO, Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Research and Innovation and Vice-President, RMIT University
- Distinguished Professor Maggie Walter, Commissioner, Yoorrook Justice Commission, Victoria
- Mr Mark McKenzie, Director, Council of Small Business Organisations Australia
- Professor Deborah Terry AO, Vice Chancellor and President, University of Queensland
- Mr Tony Cook PSM, Deputy Secretary (ex officio representative from Department of Education, Skills and Employment)
- Mr David Williamson, Deputy Secretary (ex officio representative from the Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources)
The committee will strengthen the ARC’s governance and support reforms to ensure its grant programs are fit for purpose for the sector and align with key priorities.
Media contact: Martyn Pearce, STA: 0432 606 828