STEM Ambassador Program
The STEM Ambassador Program is an initiative born from the success of Science meets Parliament.
STA has worked for almost 20 years to connect Parliamentarians with leaders in a range of scientific and technological disciplines. This Program will establish an enduring impact by connecting STEM professionals with Federal decision makers over a period of 12 months.
STA advocates for evidence-based, science-informed policy creation - and the STEM Ambassador Program will help us achieve this.
Our 2018/19 STEM Ambassadors and their matched Parliamentarians are:
What the program involves:
Each participant will be expected to attend and participate in four 1-hour workshops;
- Introduction & speaking to politicians (August 2018)
- Establishing and maintaining a network (September 2018)
- National science policy and politics (October 2018)
- Social and traditional media training (November 2018)
Participants will be required to organise and complete a series of five meetings with their assigned Parliamentarian.
The meetings will include an introductory meeting to start, a series of other catch ups, and a site/lab visit for the Parliamentarian.
Program participants may be expected to participate in media opportunities on an ad-hoc basis. Opportunities may include:
- Mainstream media interviews (including traditional news media, TV and radio talk shows; magazines; online news sites);
- Social media activity (including twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Linkedin, blogs);
- Marketing opportunities generated by Science and Technology Australia, its members and partners;
- Speaking at public, corporate or Government events
At the conclusion of the 12-month program participants will be provided with support materials and advice to enable them to continue to grow their role as a STEM Ambassador.
There will be opportunities to connect with the next intake of Ambassadors, and it is expected that regular events will be held to coincide with Science meets Parliament.
We hope participants will remain active in the policy process beyond the initial 12 months, and STA will continue to provide support to alumni following their completion of the program.