Position description: Membership Engagement Officer
Reporting to and working closely with Science & Technology Australia’s Events and Membership Manager, the Membership Engagement Officer nurtures the organisation’s member relationships and retention, recruits new members, maintains excellent membership records and supports STA members including by developing communications materials. This is a proactive, high-energy position for a skilled membership and communications professional with strong connections in the STEM sector or the ability to build them.
- Working with the Events and Membership Manager, the CEO and other staff, manage STA member relationships and retention, identify and recruit new members.
- Nurture relationships with STA member organisations to deepen understanding of their work and expertise and support their engagement across the STA community.
- Identify opportunities for members to work together, provide input on policy, and meet their needs by crafting member events in collaboration with the Events and Membership Manager.
- Develop high-quality communications materials to announce new STA members and introduce their leadership to the STA community, and share news stories across the STA network.
- Support STA’s Events and Membership Manager with delivery of STA’s flagship event Science meets Parliament, Parliamentary Friends of Science, STA’s Super STEM Communicator workshops, and other events and launches.
- Support STA members including through a high-value member benefits program and regular communications.
- Develop and manage the organisation's use of Salesforce and EventsAir, including training other STA staff to use the platforms.
- Other duties as required, including but not limited to logistical, administrative and communications support.
- Experience at supporting members in a membership organisation with strong success in relationship management, communication and administration.
- Skills to strengthen membership and with a good grasp of STEM sector policy – or the ability to acquire the latter rapidly.
- Excellent communication, writing and interpersonal skills, professionalism, and a commitment and willingness to assist other staff across the STA team.
- Ability to manage platforms such as Salesforce, EventsAir, and event platforms.
- Outstanding attention to detail and time management, and an ability to juggle competing priorities and respond quickly and professionally as issues unfold.
- An ability to build excellent relationships with members, sponsors, partners, event attendees, speakers, service providers, Parliamentarians & public servants.
- A passion for the STEM sector and a commitment to the principles of diversity, fairness and equal opportunity.
Science & Technology Australia is the peak body for Australia’s science and technology sectors. We represent 92 member organisations and, through them, more than 90,000 STEM professionals. Join a fun, small, high-energy team working flexibly and with a deep commitment to ensure STEM expertise informs policy, and public and media discussion.
STA has a strong commitment to flexible work. We envisage this Canberra-based position as either a 4 day a week or fulltime role, with a (pro rata if applicable) salary of $85,000 (negotiable for the right candidate).
Applicants should send a cover letter no more than 2 pages outlining how their skills and experience meet the duties and selection criteria for the role, along with a current resume. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications should be lodged by 10am AEDT on Monday January 17, 2022.
For further information, please contact email@example.com or 02 6257 2891.