Superstars of STEM aims to smash society’s gender assumptions about scientists and increase the public visibility of women in STEM. STA started Superstars of STEM to create a critical mass of celebrity Australian female scientists and technologists - role models for young women and girls – and to work towards equal representation in the media of women and men working in all fields in STEM.
Over five years we will have equipped 150 female scientists and technologists with advanced communication skills and provided them with genuine opportunities to use these skills – in the media, on the stage and in speaking with decision makers.
Working with participants over two years, the program strives to;
- Support 60 women employed in a range of roles in science, technology, engineering and mathematics to become highly visible public role models;
- Build the public profile of 60 women employed in STEM though training in public speaking, media and communicating with influence and through creating opportunities to practice their newly acquired skills;
- Empower participants to share their story and their work with general audiences by equipping them with advanced communications skills and an understanding of traditional media, social media and story-telling.
- Smash imposter syndrome and build confidence in a range of professional settings, participants will learn how to communicate with influence, in their workplaces, in the media and with leaders and politicians.
- Directly encourage young women and girls to study and stay in STEM, by program participants speaking with them in their schools and workplaces and by providing prominent public role models for them to aspire to.
The first year of the two-year program will focus on professional development through a series of five workshops and the second year will focus on providing participants opportunities to practice their new skills through media and speaking opportunities in schools and on high profile stages.
MEET OUR SUPERSTARS
At the conclusion of each program participants will be provided with support materials and advice to enable them to continue to grow their public profile and with suggestions and opportunities to build on the professional relationships they’ve established with one another. Participants will be strongly encouraged to continue their mentoring relationships. STA will continue to provide opportunities for alumni such as ad hoc speaking and media opportunities where available.