Around 200 leaders from research, the private sector and government gathered in Melbourne in October for Science & Technology Australia’s second annual Science meets Business.
Science Technology Australia conference “Science in Business” at the Telstra Conference Centre, Melbourne on 24th October, 2016. PHOTO: MARK GRAHAM
Through presentations and lively discussion, the event examined cultural, policy and economic barriers to better collaboration between the STEM research sector and the corporate sector of all sizes.
Keynote speaker Joanna Batstone, head of IBM Research Australia and Chief Technology Officer, IBM Australia and New Zealand, kicked off the day with an inspiring keynote and success stories of corporate investment in R&D.
Assistant Minister for Industry, Innovation and Science Hon Craig Laundy MP and Shadow Minister for Innovation, Industry and Science Senator Kim Carr gave the Government and Opposition perspectives.
Panels on the nexus between Government, research and industry, entrepreneurship, emerging technology and hunting for the next big thing featured a wealth of experience and wisdom from a range of leaders in industry, science, universities and agencies.
Footage and photos from the day will be available shortly. In the meantime:
- listen to the story on ABC Radio’s AM Program
- read the stories in the Australian Financial Review and Campus Morning Mail
- check out the column in The Conversation and Startup Smart
- read Refraction Media’s report
- read Australia’s Science Channel’s blog
- watch our Facebook live broadcast
- check out #SmB2016 on Twitter, which trended nationally
- Look at the Science meets Business program
- read the #SmB2016 Storify
Science meets Business 2016 would not have been possible without the support of our generous sponsors and partners, particularly our major supporter, the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.
Our other sponsors and partners were:
- Platinum sponsor: CSIRO
- Gold sponsors: Defence Science and Technology Group; Lockheed Martin
- Silver sponsor: University of technology Sydney: Science
- Bronze sponsors: Deakin University; Macquarie University; National Computational Infrastructure; Taylor & Francis Group; Australian Academy of Science
- Media partner: Refraction Media
- Catering partners: The Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering