Take a look behind the scenes at day five of Science meets Parliament 2022.
The final day of programming opened with a compelling discussion on the role of trust and leadership in health equity. Our panel included:
- a family doctor from western Sydney who created an inflatable (and portable) drive-through vaccination clinic Dr Jamal Rifi;
- National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation medical advisor Dr Jason Agostino; and
- Chair of the World Health Organization working group on Behavioural and Social Drivers of Vaccination Professor Julie Leask.
This inspiring panel was chaired by Superstar of STEM and Senior Research Fellow at Queensland University of Technology Dr Susanna Cramb.
This session was proudly supported by Science meets Parliament Equity, Diversity and Inclusion partner AbbVie.
Equally inspiring was our panel discussing Indigenous knowledges: Understanding protocols and protections. Chaired by First Nations scientist Landon Brady the discussion brought together:
- Wiradjuri scholar Dr Sadie Heckenberg of Swinburne University’s Moondani Toombadool Centre;
- Yamatji-Noongar woman and Senior Scientia Lecturer at UNSW Dr Miri Raven;
- Solicitor and legal adviser Anika Valenti of Indigenous-owned and led legal firm Terri Janke and Company; and
- the Director General of IP Australia Michael Schwager.
The powerful finale to Science Meets Parliament 2022 was a brilliant Commercialisation Masterclass led by Australia’s Chief Scientist Dr Cathy Foley. Our commercialisation all-star panel included STA President Professor Mark Hutchinson, dynamic Policy Chair Professor Sharath Sriram, and MedTech Enterprise Fellow at the University of Melbourne Associate Professor Jia-Yee Lee.
The Commercialisation Masterclass was sponsored by Spiegare and the Tech Transfer Podcast.
It shared practical tips and insights for scientists keen to deepen their understanding of the commercialisation process – watch this space from STA this year!
What a week it was. Our amazing team at Science & Technology Australia worked their socks off to give a record-breaking 528 delegates an incredible program of professional development as we brought the science and technology community together with key decision-makers for the 22nd Science meets Parliament.
A huge thanks to all of our delegates for being part of SmP2022, to our amazing sponsors who make this event possible, our brilliant speakers and panellists for sharing their wisdom, Peter Lale from One Vision for the technical wizardry, and the ace STA team: President Mark Hutchinson, CEO Misha Schubert, Sandra Gardam, Lucy Guest, Sarah Tynan, Emily Downie, Evelyn Fetterplace, Kelvin Peh, Shannon Wong, Emma Hibbert, Penny Thomson, Superstar interns Genevieve Evans & Francine Machin, Martyn Pearce, and – of course – Archie the STA office dog 🐶.